Health Occupations
& Technology

Speech Language Pathologist

To be a successful Speech-Language Pathologist you should…

  • enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds
  • have excellent oral and written communication skills
  • be flexible and creative in problem-solving
  • have an interest in and aptitude for science and technology
  • be patient, compassionate, and empathetic

Click here to view video.

What will my job be like?

Speech-language pathologists assess and treat persons with speech, language, and communication problems, including articulation, voice, fluency, and swallowing disorders. These disorders could be a result of a variety of medical and developmental conditions, including hearing loss, stroke, cerebral palsy, autism, head injury, and mental retardation. They may select and teach the use of augmentative and alternative communication systems for individuals who are not able to speak. A speech-language pathologist may perform research related to speech, language, and communication problems.

Where could I work?

Speech-language pathologists work in public and private schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, clinics, early intervention agencies, and nursing homes. They may also be self-employed in private practice.

Other workplace settings:

  • Public Health Departments
  • Speech and Hearing Centers

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Employment of speech-language pathologists is projected to grow 29 percent from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations, according to the BLS.

About 15,200 openings for speech-language pathologists are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

A speech-language pathologist acquires a master’s degree after earning a bachelor’s degree in one of the scientific disciplines or in speech pathology.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Sacred Heart University, Fairfield
  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • University of Hartford, West Hartford
  • University of New Haven, West Haven

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is required in the state of Connecticut. Prerequisite: In addition to a master’s degree or equivalent in speech pathology, an acceptable supervised professional experience period is required. NTE Specialty Area Test in Speech Pathology or current Certificate of Clinical Competency in Speech Pathology is also required.

Please visit the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health website for more information.

Where can I get more information?

American Academy of Audiology
11480 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 220
Reston, VA   20191
(703) 790-8466

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2200 Research Boulevard
Rockville, MD   20852
(800) 638-8255