Health Occupations
& Technology


To be a successful Audiologist you should…

  • enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds
  • have an interest in and aptitude for science and technology
  • have good oral and written communication skills
  • be flexible and creative in problem-solving

Click here to view video.

What will my job be like?

Audiologists work with hearing-impaired people to improve the accuracy of their hearing. They perform tests and evaluate hearing problems to determine the range and degree of hearing loss. They develop treatment programs so people can adapt to their problems or have them corrected. Audiologists might prescribe a hearing aid or teach a person to read lips. Since many hearing-impaired people have difficulty with speech, audiologists work closely with speech pathologists.

Audiologists may specialize in:

  • Children
  • Elderly
  • Hearing Conservation
  • Hearing Disorder Research

Where could I work?

Audiologists work in rehabilitation settings, hospitals, schools, speech and hearing centers, and private practice. They do their evaluations in specially constructed “quiet” rooms suitable for hearing tests.

Other workplace settings:

  • Clinics
  • Colleges and Universities
  • Corporations/Industry
  • Health Maintenance Organizations
  • Home Health Agencies
  • Nursing Homes
  • Physician Offices
  • Private Practice
  • Public Health Departments
  • Research Centers

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

According to the BLS, employment of audiologists is projected to grow 16 percent from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations.

About 800 openings for audiologists are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

An audiologist acquires a master’s degree after earning a bachelor’s degree in communication disorders or in a variety of other fields. Doctoral programs are also offered.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is required in the state of Connecticut. Prerequisite: Connecticut requires completion of an approved Master’s or Doctorate degree in Audiology; approved supervised professional experience; NTE Specialty Area Test in Audiology or current certificate of clinical competency in audiology.

Please visit the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health website for more information.

Where can I get more information?

American Academy of Audiology
11480 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 220
Reston, VA   20191
(703) 790-8466

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2200 Research Boulevard
Rockville, MD   20850
(800) 638-8255