Health Occupations
& Technology

Clinical Research Associate


To be a successful Clinical Research Associate you should… 

  • be a creative, imaginative, hardworking individual who enjoys interacting with other scientists
  • be persistent
  • be cooperative and able to work well with others
  • have strong oral and written communication skills

What will my job be like?

A clinical research associate (CRA) is responsible for research in collaboration with others. He or she makes detailed observations, analyzes data, and interprets results. Research associates prepare technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analysis.

He or she may also be responsible for identifying patentable inventions and acting as the principal investigator in conducting
his or her own experiments. A CRA may also be asked to participate in scientific conferences and contribute to scientific journals.

Where could I work?

Scientists can work independently or as part of a team at universities, hospitals, or in research and testing laboratories.

Other workplace settings:

  • Clinics and Hospitals
  • Consultants to Business Firms and Government
  • Pharmaceutical Industry
  • Federal, State, and Local Governments
  • National Institutes of Health
  • U.S. Departments of Agriculture, the Interior, and Defense

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Job growth for CRAs will be higher than the average for all other occupations. According to the BLS, the job growth for medical laboratory technologists will be approximately 14 percent from 2014 to 2024, while medical laboratory technicians will see 18 percent growth

The number of science-related jobs in sales, marketing, and research management, for which the number of non-PhDs usually qualify, is expected to be more plentiful than independent research positions.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

At the entry level, the job requires a Bachelor of Science or advanced degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent with a minimum of up to 2 years of related experience.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Albertus Magnus College, New Haven
  • Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Quinnipiac University, Hamden
  • Sacred Heart University, Fairfield
  • University of Connecticut School of Allied Health, Storrs

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

Association of Clinical Research Professionals
99 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA   22314