Health Occupations
& Technology

Laboratory Technician

To be a successful Laboratory Technician you should…

  • possess good analytical judgment
  • be able to work under pressure
  • have the ability to pay close attention to detail

What will my job be like?

Laboratory technicians are responsible for performing a wide variety of research and/or developmental laboratory tasks and experiments, making detailed observations, analyzing data, and interpreting results. The laboratory technician maintains laboratory equipment and inventory levels for laboratory supplies. They may also write reports, summaries, and protocols regarding experiments. A laboratory technician also performs limited troubleshooting and calibration of instruments.

Where could I work?

Laboratory technicians work as part of a team at universities, hospitals, or in research and testing laboratories.

Other workplace settings:
  • Clinics and Hospitals
  • Pharmaceutical Industry
  • Federal, State, and Local Governments
  • National Institutes of Health
  • U.S. Departments of Agriculture, the Interior, and Defense

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Overall employment of medical laboratory technologists and technicians is projected to grow 13 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. An increase in the aging population is expected to lead to a greater need to diagnose medical conditions, such as cancer or type 2 diabetes, through laboratory procedures.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

An entry-level laboratory technician position requires an associate degree and two years of experience, or a bachelor’s degree in a relevant life science discipline (i.e., biology, botany, biochemistry, or chemistry).

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Albertus Magnus College, New Haven
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Quinnipiac University, Hamden

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

Association of Clinical Research Professionals
99 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA   22314