Health Occupations
& Technology


To be a successful Biochemist you should…

  • be curious about the chemical origins of life, the cell, the effects of organisms on the cell, and how altering conditions can improve life on earth
  • be a creative, imaginative, hardworking individual who enjoys interacting with other scientists
  • be persistent
  • be cooperative and able to work well with others
  • have strong oral and written communication skills

What will my job be like?

Biochemists study the chemical components and processes of living systems, plants, insects, viruses, microorganisms, and mammals to explain how and why chemical reactions occur. Their work contributes to many fields of science.

Biochemists may specialize in biomedical equipment used in radiology, nuclear medicine, surgery, dialysis, intensive care, or the laboratory.

Where could I work?

Biochemists work in hospitals, medical centers or clinics, or manufacturers in sales engineering/service. Colleges and universities employ the majority of biochemists as teachers or researchers. The Department of Agriculture, the National Institutes of Health, and the Environmental Protection Agency are just a few of the government agencies that employ biochemists specializing in basic research, analyzing food, drugs, air, water, waste, or animal tissue.

Other workplace settings:

  • Pharmaceutical Industry
  • Clinical Research

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Employment of biochemists and biophysicists is projected to grow 11 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. More biochemists and biophysicists will be needed to use the knowledge they have gained from basic research to develop biological products and processes that improve people’s lives.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Preparing for a career in this field requires earning a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry or chemistry, with specialties in cell biology, genetics, molecular biology, biophysics, or biochemical methods. Some universities offer a 1-year program after undergraduate school for training in specialized laboratory techniques. Positions that involve teaching in a college or directing research require at least a master’s degree, preferably a doctorate.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Albertus Magnus College, New Haven
  • Central Connecticut State University, New Britain
  • Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic
  • Fairfield University, Fairfield
  • Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport
  • Manchester Community College, Manchester
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Northwestern Connecticut Community College, Winsted
  • Quinebaug Valley Community College, Norwich
  • Quinnipiac University, Hamden
  • Sacred Heart University, Fairfield
  • Southern Connecticut State University
  • Three Rivers Community College, Norwich
  • Trinity College, Hartford
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • University of Hartford, West Hartford
  • University of New Haven, New Haven
  • University of St. Joseph, West Hartford
  • Wesleyan University, Middletown
  • Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
11200 Rockville Pike, Suite 302
Rockville, MD   20852-3110