Health Occupations
& Technology

Social Worker

To be a successful Social Worker you should…

  • want your work to make a difference
  • believe in the worth and dignity of all people
  • have acceptance and appreciation of individual differences and contributions
  • have a clear understanding of the values, ethics, knowledge, and skills of a helping professional
  • have excellent oral and written communication skills
  • have the ability to work in isolation and make independent judgments
  • understand the value of team work

Click here to view video.

What will my job be like?

Social workers help individuals, families, and groups to function within their environments by providing direct services such as counseling and securing resources, or by advocating for a change in the environment (systems change).

Social Workers may specialize in:

  • Child Welfare
  • Community Organizing
  • Gerontology
  • Marriage and Family
  • Health Care
  • Mental Health
  • Social Policy and Administration
  • Substance Misuse and Addictions

Where could I work?

Social workers are employed in schools, corporations, courts of law, and private practice.

Other workplace settings:

  • Community Mental Health Centers
  • Governmental Agencies
  • HIV/AIDs Clinics
  • Home Health Agencies
  • Hospitals
  • Mental Health and Substance Abuse Centers
  • Nursing Homes
  • Prisons
  • Social Service Agencies

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Overall employment of social workers is projected to grow 12 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations.

About 78,300 openings for social workers are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

To be a social worker, one must have a degree in social work from a college or university program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The undergraduate degree is the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW). Graduate degrees include the Master of Social Work (MSW) and the Doctorate in Social Work (DSW or PhD). The bachelor’s degree prepares graduates for generalist entry-level work, whereas the master’s degree is for more advanced practice. A DSW or PhD is useful for doing research or teaching at the university level.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

BSW Programs

  • Albertus Magnus College, New Haven
  • Central Connecticut State University, New Britain
  • Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic
  • Fairfield University, Fairfield
  • Manchester Community College, Manchester
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Northwestern Connecticut Community College, Winsted
  • Norwalk Community College, Norwalk
  • Sacred Heart University, Fairfield
  • Tunxis Community College, Farmington
  • Western Connecticut State University, Danbury

MSW Programs

  • Quinnipiac University, Hamden
  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • University of St. Joseph, West Hartford

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is required in the State of Connecticut to provide clinical social work (therapy). Prerequisite: To be a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), Connecticut requires a Master’s degree in social work, 3000 hours post-graduate clinical social work experience, 100 hours of approved supervision by LCSW and passage of the clinical exam of the American Association of State Social Work Boards.  No license is required to non-clinical social work as long as you hold at least a bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW) from a program accredited by the council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

Please visit the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health website for more information.

Where can I get more information?

National Association of Social Workers
750 First Street NE, Suite 800
Washington, DC   20002
(800) 742-4089