Health Occupations
& Technology

Rehabilitation Counselor

To be a successful Rehabilitation Counselor you should…

  • strong interest in helping others
  • have the ability to inspire respect, trust, and confidence
  • be able to work independently or as part of a team

What will my job be like?

Rehabilitation counselors help people deal with the personal, social, and vocational effects of having disabilities. They counsel people with disabilities, illness or disease, accidents, or the stress of daily life. They provide personal and vocational counseling, and arrange for medical care, vocational training, and job placement.

Where could I work?

Rehabilitation counselors usually work a standard 40-hour week. Self-employed counselors and those working in mental health and community agencies often work evenings to counsel clients who work during the day.

Other workplace settings:
  • Colleges and Universities
  • Elementary and Secondary Schools
  • Employment Agencies

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Employment of rehabilitation counselors is projected to grow 13 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. Demand for rehabilitation counselors is expected to grow with the increase in the elderly population and with the continued rehabilitation needs of other groups, such as veterans and people with disabilities.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Counselors receive their education through academic programs at community colleges, colleges and universities. Most counselors receive a 4-year bachelor’s degree plus a graduate degree. There are 2-year associate degrees that offer certification in specialized areas of counseling.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Asnuntuck Community College, Enfield
  • Capital Community College, Hartford
  • Gateway Community College, New Haven
  • Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport
  • Manchester Community College, Manchester
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Naugatuck Valley Community College (Co-op), Waterbury
  • Northwestern Connecticut Community College (Co-op), Winsted
  • Norwalk Community College (Co-op), Norwalk
  • Quinebaug Valley Community College, Danielson
  • Post University, Waterbury
  • Three Rivers Community College (Co-op), Norwich
  • Tunxis Community College (Co-op), Farmington

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is required in the state of Connecticut. Prerequisite: Graduation from an approved program.

Where can I get more information?

American Counseling Association
5999 Stevenson Avenue
Alexandria, VA   22304