Health Occupations
& Technology

Human Services Worker

To be a successful Human Services Worker you should…

  • have a strong desire to help others
  • show patience, understanding, and caring in dealing with others
  • have strong communication skills
  • have a strong sense of responsibility
  • have the ability to manage time effectively

Click here to view video.

What will my job be like?

Human services workers help individuals and families with daily living needs, such as identifying housing programs, food banks, and public health clinics. They provide counseling and assistance to persons who are unable to solve their problems independently.

Human services workers may specialize in the following:

  • Addiction/Substance Abuse
  • Geriatrics
  • Child Welfare/Family Services
  • Life Skills Education
  • Community Health/Mental Health

Where could I work?

Human service workers may work in offices, clinics, and hospitals, while others work in group homes, shelters, sheltered workshops, and day programs.

Human services workers in social service agencies generally spend part of the time in the office and the rest of the time in the field. Most work a 40-hour week. Some evening and weekend work may be necessary.

Other workplace settings:

  • Adult Care Facilities
  • Prisons and Halfway Houses
  • Psychiatric Hospitals
  • Public Health Departments
  • Public Welfare Agencies
  • State and Local Governments
  • Community Mental Health Centers
  • Facilities for the Developmentally Challenged
  • Private Social or Human Services Agencies
  • Substance Abuse Treatment Centers

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

The BLS reports that overall employment of social workers is projected to grow 12 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations.

About 78,300 openings for social workers are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Human services workers receive their education by attending community colleges and colleges or universities. The initial programs in human services are offered at the community college level and award associate degrees. Today, in addition to an associate degree, many programs offer certificates in specialized areas, such as addictions and/or gerontology.

Four-year colleges and universities have human services programs and offer bachelor’s degrees and, in some instances, specialized certificates. Programs at this level not only prepare the service worker but also introduce the student to program management, coordination, and supervisory skills.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Albertus Magnus College, New Haven
  • Capital Community College, Hartford
  • Central Connecticut State University, New Britain
  • Gateway Community College, New Haven
  • Goodwin College, East Hartford
  • Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport
  • Manchester Community College, Manchester
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Mitchell College, New London
  • Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury
  • Northwestern Connecticut Community College, Winsted
  • Norwalk Community College, Norwalk
  • Quinebaug Valley Community College, Danielson
  • Quinnipiac University, Hamden
  • Sacred Heart University, Fairfield
  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • Tunxis Community College, Farmington
  • University of Bridgeport, Bridgeport
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • University of St. Joseph, West Hartford
  • Western Connecticut State University, Danbury

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

National Association of Social Workers
750 First St, NE, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20002
(800) 742-4089