Health Occupations
& Technology

Veterinarian Technician/Technologist

To be a successful Veterinarian Technician/Technologist you should…

  • enjoy working with people and animals
  • be a self-starter

Click here to view video.

What will my job be like?

Veterinary technicians assist veterinarians in many ways. Their responsibilities include taking X-rays; performing laboratory  tests; obtaining and recording information about cases; and  preparing animals, instruments, equipment, and medication for  examination and surgery.  Technicians/technologists may also  manage an office and coordinate hospital care.

Where could I work?

Veterinary technicians/technologists work in private veterinary  centers, diagnostic and research laboratories, veterinary supply  businesses,  schools of veterinary medicine, and other areas dealing with animal care.

Other workplace settings:

  • Agribusiness
  • Biomedical Research
  • Governmental Agencies
  • Herd Health Managers
  • Humane Societies
  • Military Service
  • Pharmaceutical Companies
  • Teaching
  • Zoo/Wildlife Medicine
  • Retail Stores

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

The BLS reports employment of veterinary technologists and technicians is projected to grow 15 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations.

About 10,400 openings for veterinary technologists and technicians are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

The course of formal study entails at least two academic years,  leading to an Associate in Applied Science or equivalent degree,  with 4-year degrees available at some institutions. Veterinary  technicians are trained through an accredited technical associate  degree program in the community college system. Veterinary technologists are trained through an accredited baccalaureate  degree program in a 4·year college or university.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Northwestern Connecticut Community College, Winsted
  • Norwalk Community College, Norwalk
  • Quinebaug Valley Community College, Danielson

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

American Veterinary Medical Association
1931 N Meacham Road, Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL   60173
(800) 248-2862

The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America
750 Route 202, Suite 200
Bridgewater, NJ  08807