Health Occupations
& Technology


To be a successful Sanitarian you should…

  • have an ability and a strong interest in science
  • have the ability to follow a problem to conclusion
  • have the ability to work with a variety of people
  • have the ability to work with governmental regulations
  • have the ability to think logically
  • have the ability to speak and write effectively
  • have the ability to exercise patience, flexibility, and a
  • be willing to work in different locations under a variety of conditions

What will my job be like?

Sanitarians perform laboratory and field tests to monitor the environment and investigate sources of pollution, including those that affect health. Sanitarians may also collect samples of gases, soil, water, and other materials for testing and take corrective actions as assigned.

Where could I work?

  • Local Health Departments
  • State Health Department
  • Consumer Protection
  • Colleges and universities
  • Tribal governments
  • Private industry

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Overall employment of occupational health and safety specialists and technicians is projected to grow 7 percent from 2020 to 2030, about as fast as the average for all occupations, according to the BLS.

About 9,600 openings for occupational health and safety specialists and technicians are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Most employers are seeking a 4 year degree in Environmental Health, Public Health, or other Science-based degree. Also food service inspector training, on-site sewage disposal certification (phase I and phase II), lead inspector or lead inspector/risk assessor training are routinely desired. These training’s are either sponsored by DPH or private consultants (lead trainings only).

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • Yale University, New Haven

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

In order to hold yourself as a “Sanitarian,” you need to hold a registered sanitarian (RS) license per Gen Statute Sec. 20-358 through 20-362. However, there are several job titles/job descriptions that are named Sanitarian, but may not require such license up front. There is a trend to name non-licensed personnel as Environmental Health Technicians/Inspectors instead of Sanitarians.

Please visit the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health website for more information.

Where can I get more information?

American Public Health Association
800 I Street, NW
Washington, DC   20001

National Environmental Health Association
720 South Colorado Boulevard, Suite 105A
Denver, CO   80246
(303) 802-2200