Health Occupations
& Technology

Health Educator

To be a successful Health Educator you should…

  • be able to plan, implement, and evaluate community health education programs and act as a resource person for the programs/activities of the entire staff of the health department
  • be able to develop creative concepts and innovative techniques to reach populations with appropriate and useful health information
  • be mature and tactful in dealing with people
  • have good communication and public speaking ability

Click here to view video.

What will my job be like?

Health educators inform people, groups, and communities about the causes and prevention of health problems, especially those that relate to lifestyle, work, and cultural factors. Health educators help others to improve their health by providing counseling, education, and community organization.

Depending on the area of concentration, health educators implement programs on such topics as pollution, drug abuse, nutrition, diabetes, and pregnancy.

Where could I work?

  • Colleges and Universities
  • Community Health Centers
  • Federal, State, and Local Health Departments
  • Hospitals
  • Public Health Departments
  • Schools

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Overall employment of health educators and community health workers is projected to grow 16 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations, according to the BLS. Growth will be driven by efforts to improve health outcomes and to reduce healthcare costs by teaching people healthy behaviors and explaining how to use available healthcare services.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Health educators receive their education through programs at colleges and universities. A 4-year bachelor’s degree can be obtained. A master’s degree or doctoral degree (PhD) may also be pursued. Many positions require Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) certification.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Albertus Magnus College, New Haven
  • Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic
  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • University of St. Joseph, West Hartford
  • Western Connecticut State University, Danbury
  • Yale School of Public Health, New Haven

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut. Certification can be received as a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.

Where can I get more information?

American Public Health Association
800 I Street, NW
Washington, DC   20001

Society for Public Health Education
10 G Street, NE, Suite 605
Washington, DC   20002