Health Occupations
& Technology

Health Care Interpreter

To be a successful Health Care Interpreter you should… 

  • be fluent in English, read, and write in another foreign language for linguistic conversion
  • understand culturally norms among native speaker
  • adhere to standards of practice and code of ethics
  • be efficient with time management

What will my job be like?

Health care interpreters also known as Medical Interpreters provide language services to non-English-speaking patients to help them communicate with doctors, nurses and other medical staff. They might be employed by medical facilities or interpreter agencies, or they might choose to operate their own businesses. Medical interpreters need to have a high level of communication skill in both English and a foreign language. Earning a bachelor’s degree in interpretation or a specific foreign language is common for aspiring interpreters, though certificate programs in medical interpretation are also available. In recent years, two National Certification bodies have been established to validate qualifications of health care interpreters.

 Where could I work?

Health care interpreters work in a variety of health care settings, this includes but not limited to, hospitals, clinics, private offices, rehabilitation centers and nursing homes. Employment demands will differ among the different settings, including the number of departments an interpreter may be placed.

What is the median salary?


What is the future of this career?

According to the BLS, employment for trained Medical Interpreters is an increasingly growing throughout the nation. The trend nationally is to require certified interpreters for clinical and medical settings. It is anticipated that the State of Connecticut will also require training and/or certification.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Individuals seeking to become health care interpreters may enroll in a certificate program that may be offered through an Area Health Education Center or medical interpreter certificate program at a community college. Topics of study are likely to include medical terminology, medical ethics, and standards of practice, integrated interpreting skills, and intercultural communication.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

HEC Medical Interpreter Program. For further information visit https://healtheducenter.org/en-us/trainings/interpreter-training

The course follows the National Council of Healthcare Interpreting professional standards of practice.

Do I need a license or certification for this career? 

Currently there are no licensing or certification requirements in Connecticut.  While certificate courses that provide fundamental knowledge of healthcare interpreting is available, employers may not require this for employment. There are however, some health care organizations that require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.

Certifying Agencies:

Where can I get more information?

International Medical Interpreter Association www.imiaweb.org 

National Council on Interpreting in Health Care, www.ncihc.org 

Health Education Center
55 Main Street, Suite 270
Norwich, CT  06360
(860) 465-8281 / info@healtheducationcenter.org