Health Occupations
& Technology

Athletic Trainer

To be a successful Athletic Trainer you should…

  • be willing to work flexible hours
  • be willing to do some traveling
  • have outstanding interpersonal skills
  • be able to handle emergency situations
  • have excellent communication skills
  • be flexible and creative in finding best solutions
  • be able to learn to use new equipment and perform new tasks
  • be able to see small differences
  • be able to work with patience and understanding

What will my job be like?

Athletic trainers provide health care services to athletes and other physically active individuals. To help athletes prevent injuries, certified athletic trainers develop conditioning and nutrition programs. When injuries occur, athletic trainers conduct the initial evaluation and supervise treatment and rehabilitation under the direction of a physician.

Where could I work?

Athletic trainers may be employed by middle schools or high schools, colleges, universities, professional athletic teams, sports medicine clinics, hospitals, health clubs, or corporate health programs.

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Employment of athletic trainers and exercise physiologists is projected to grow 15 percent from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations, according to the BLS. As people become more aware of sports-related injuries at a young age, demand for athletic trainers is expected to increase, most significantly in colleges, universities, and youth leagues.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

A bachelor’s degree is required. Many athletic trainers earn advanced degrees. The National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification (NATABOC) must certify athletic trainers after they have graduated from an approved universities and successfully completed a certification exam.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Central Connecticut State University, New Britain
  • Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic
  • Gateway Community College, New Haven
  • Manchester Community College, Manchester
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Mitchell College, New London
  • Sacred Heart University, Fairfield
  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • Three Rivers Community College, Norwich
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • University of New Haven, West Haven
  • University of St. Joseph, West Hartford

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

A license is required in the state of Connecticut. Prerequisite: Connecticut requires a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, hold and maintain certification from the Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer.

Please visit the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health website for more information.

Where can I get more information?

National Athletic Trainers’ Association
1620 Valwood Parkway, Suite 115
Carrollton, TX   75006
(214) 637-6282