Health Occupations
& Technology

Environmental Health Specialist

To be a successful Environmental Health Specialist you should…

  • have an ability and a strong interest in science
  • have the ability to follow a problem to conclusion
  • have the ability to work with a variety of people
  • have the ability to work with governmental regulations
  • have the ability to think logically
  • have the ability to speak and write effectively
  • have the ability to exercise patience, flexibility, and a
  • willingness to work in different locations under a variety of conditions

What will my job be like?

Environmental health specialists conduct research or perform investigations for the purpose of identifying, diminishing, and/or eliminating sources of pollutants and hazards that affect either the environment or the health of the population. They may collect, synthesize, study, report, and take action
based on data derived from measurements or observations of air, food, soil, water, and other sources.

Environmental Health Specialists may specialize in the following:

  • Air and Water Pollution
  • Food Protection
  • Hazardous Waste Disposal
  • Milk and Dairy Production
  • Occupational Health

Where could I work?

Some environmental health specialists work as inspectors for state and local health departments, wildlife parks, hospitals, private industry, and non-profit organizations.

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Employment of environmental scientists and specialists is projected to grow 11 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. Heightened public interest in the hazards facing the environment, as well as increasing demands placed on the environment by population growth, are expected to spur demand for environmental scientists and specialists.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Environmental health specialists begin with an associate or bachelor’s degree. Environmental health specialists involved in research, administration, environmental protection, and resource management earn at least a master’s degree, and some earn doctoral degrees in areas such as water resources
engineering, air and industrial hygiene, environmental management, and related fields.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Central Connecticut State University, New Britain
  • Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic
  • Fairfield University, Fairfield
  • Goodwin College, East Hartford
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury
  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • Three Rivers Community College, Norwich
  • Trinity College, Hartford
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs
  • University of New Haven, New Haven
  • University of St. Joseph, West Hartford
  • Wesleyan University, Middletown
  • Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health
1900 M Street NW, Suite 710
Washington, DC    20036

Connecticut Environment Health Association

National Environmental Health Association
720 South Colorado Boulevard, Suite 91000-N
Denver, CO   80246