Health Occupations
& Technology

Nuclear Medicine Technologist

To be a successful Nuclear Medicine Technologist you should…

  • have a keen interest in the health sciences and computer technology
  • enjoy a people-oriented career

Click here to view video.

What will my job be like?

The nuclear medicine technologist is a highly specialized health care professional who works closely with the radiologist. Nuclear medicine technology uses radiopharmeceuticals to “see” organ images (i.e., heart, lungs, liver, kidneys), body functions, and assist in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Skilled in patient care, nuclear medicine technologists instruct patients before medical procedures. Under the direction of a physician, they calculate dosages and administer appropriate radioactive drugs. Technologists also must document the use and disposal of radioactive materials.

Where could I work?

Nuclear medicine technologists are usually employed in hospitals, clinics, and outpatient imaging centers, and generally work a 40-hour week. This may include evening or weekend hours in departments that operate on an extended schedule. Opportunities for part-time and shift work are also available.

Other workplace settings:

  • Physician Offices
  • Research Facilities

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Employment of nuclear medicine technologists is projected to grow 8 percent from 2020 to 2030, about as fast as the average for all occupations, according to the BLS.

About 1,500 openings for nuclear medicine technologists are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Many of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Nuclear medicine technologists receive their education through academic programs at hospitals, community colleges, and colleges and universities. Programs range in length from one to four years and lead to a certificate, associate degree, or bachelor’s degree. One-year certificate programs are for registered radiological technologists and ultrasound technologists who wish to specialize in nuclear medicine. Others interested in the nuclear medicine technology field have three options: a 2-year certificate program, a 2-year associate program, or a 4-year bachelor’s program.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Gateway Community College, New Haven

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
1255 Northland Drive
St. Paul, MN   55120
(651) 687-0048

Society of Nuclear Medicine, Technologist Section
1850 Samuel Morse Drive
Reston, VA   20190
(703) 708-9000