AHEC Connecticut

PUBLIC HEALTH - Epidemiologist

To be a successful Epidemiologist you should...

Click here for next career.
  • have ability and a strong interest in science
  • have the ability to follow a problem to conclusion
  • have the ability to work with a variety of people
  • have the ability to work with governmental regulations
  • have the ability to think logically
  • have the ability to speak and write effectively
  • have the ability to exercise patience, flexibility, and a willingness to work in different locations under a variety of conditions

What will my job be like?

PUBLIC HEALTH - Epidemiologist

Epidemiologists are scientists who first identify a disease in a population and then track it as it moves through the population. Epidemiologists research the cause and frequency of a disease by using statistics and demographics (i.e., ethnicity, race, and age) to prevent or control the spread of new diseases.

Epidemiologists may specialize in:

  • Clinical Health Industry (Clinical Epidemiology)
  • Infectious Diseases (e.g., HIV, Tuberculosis, Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
  • Chronic Diseases (e.g., Heart Disease, Cancer, Diabetes)
  • Occupational/Environmental Diseases
  • School Health

Where could I work?

  • Colleges/Universities
  • State and Local Health Departments
  • Federal or Government Health Agencies
  • Research Institutions
  • Large Medical Corporations

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Faster-than-average-job growth.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Epidemiologists receive their education through programs at colleges or universities. A 4-year bachelor’s degree can be obtained. A master's degree or doctoral degree (PhD) is often required.

Where can I get the education and/or training?

  • Yale University, New Haven
  • Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
  • University of Connecticut, Farmington

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.

Where can I get more information?

Association of Schools of Public Health
1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 910
Washington DC 20005
(202) 296-1099

Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc.
1275 K Street, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 789-1890