PUBLIC HEALTH - Epidemiologist
To be a successful Epidemiologist you should...
- have ability and a strong interest in science
- have the ability to follow a problem to conclusion
- have the ability to work with a variety of people
- have the ability to work with governmental regulations
- have the ability to think logically
- have the ability to speak and write effectively
- have the ability to exercise patience, flexibility, and a willingness to work in different locations under a variety of conditions
What will my job be like?
Epidemiologists are scientists who first identify a disease in a population and then track it as it moves through the population. Epidemiologists research the cause and frequency of a disease by using statistics and demographics (i.e., ethnicity, race, and age) to prevent or control the spread of new diseases.
Epidemiologists may specialize in:
- Clinical Health Industry (Clinical Epidemiology)
- Infectious Diseases (e.g., HIV, Tuberculosis, Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
- Chronic Diseases (e.g., Heart Disease, Cancer, Diabetes)
- Occupational/Environmental Diseases
- School Health
Where could I work?
- State and Local Health Departments
- Federal or Government Health Agencies
- Research Institutions
- Large Medical Corporations
What is the average annual salary?
What is the future of this career?
What type of education and/or training do I need?
Epidemiologists receive their education through programs at colleges or universities. A 4-year bachelor’s degree can be obtained. A master's degree or doctoral degree (PhD) is often required.
Where can I get the education and/or training?
- Yale University, New Haven
- Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven
- University of Connecticut, Farmington
Do I need a license or certification for this career?
Licensure is not required in the state of Connecticut.
Where can I get more information?
Association of Schools of Public Health
1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 910
Washington DC 20005
Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc.
1275 K Street, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20005